I've been rearranging letters for recreation and recompense since I was 10. there hasn't been any money yet, but I'm keeping the faith.

Thursday, November 18

what do i want?

i want to visit someone's parents for the first time.
and impress them with my wit and sense of humor.
and tell them what i'm inspiring to be.
and what i think of their daughter.
and look really good and make the mother blush.
and catch that evil eye from the father as we drink a beer and watch the football game.
and i want him to root for the opposite team.
and i want to have that awkward silence between me and the father.
and i want to help wash the dishes with the mother and have a talk with her.
sleeves rolled up and my fingers wrinkled from the greasy lukewarm dishwater.
smiling and getting my pants wet.
i want to take the garbage out.
and smile at her when i catch her eye.
because she knows that all i'm trying to do is be right for her.
and that silence when everyone runs out of things to say at the dinner table.
then the father asks me something about my aspirations or whatever.
and i want to stammer...and stutter. sound confident. but stumble in places.
and twirl my fork in the mashed potatoes with slight nervousness.
and hold that same roll in my hand while i eye that one specific string bean.
give him enough eyecontact just to satisfy him.
and i want to WANT that last piece of ham.
but i don't want to feel greedy until her mother offers it to me.
the end of the night after the silences and the chewing...and the eyecontact...and the threatening glances from the father...the blushing from the mother when i tell her where she got her beauty from...and the worrisome dog or evil cat...
i want her to say "i bet they loved you"...even when i say "they hate me".

that's all i'm asking for.